California's Home Study Driver Education Class

We offer online driver education and home study driver ed courses that satisfy the California Vehicle Code driver education requirements for students to obtain a DMV learners permit and drivers license. Our driver education classes are accepted by the California DMV. Designed for all California high school students in Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Orange, San Diego, Riverside and all other areas of California. A service of Pacific High School.

               To easily find this site again, hit Ctrl+D, or drag this link: Cal-Driver-Ed to your Favorites.

Our Online Drivers Education Course
Meets the California DMV requirements for students under 18
to get a Learners Permit and a Drivers License

The California DMV Driver Handbook

Age Requirements

No matter what your age, you must bring an acceptable birth date/legal presence document and provide your true full name the first time you apply for a license.

Adults: If you are 18 years old, meet the requirements, and pass the tests, you may be issued a California driver license. There is no upper age limit.

Minors: A minor is someone under 18 years of age. Minors must have their application for a license or any change of class signed by their parents.*

Minors Employed As Drivers

A person under 18 may not be employed to drive a motor vehicle. Minors may not drive a school bus containing pupils. A person must be at least 21 to drive commercial vehicles in interstate commerce or to transport hazardous materials or wastes.

Permitting An Unlicensed Person To Drive

It is against the law to loan your vehicle to an unlicensed or suspended person. If the person is caught driving, your vehicle may be impounded for 30 days. (VC §14602.6) The impounding agency must give you a phone number to call for further information.

No person of any age may drive on a highway or in a public parking facility unless the person has a valid license or permit.

The law also says that you must not employ, permit, or authorize any person to drive a vehicle on a public street or highway unless the person is licensed to drive that class of vehicle.


There are ten classes of California driver licenses. When you apply for a driver license, tell DMV the type of license you need. The license classes are defined as follows:

NOTE: Class M1 or M2 is added to any other class license after passing law and skill tests.

Class A**

You may drive any legal combination of vehicles, including vehicles under Classes B and C.

You may tow:
- any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs.
- any trailer bus, with endorsement
- more than one vehicle, with endorsement
- any vehicle under Classes B (an additional endorsement may be required) or C

Class A Fire Fighter**

You may drive only Class A and Class B defined combination fire fighting vehicles and all vehicles listed under Class C.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs.

Class A Noncommercial

You may drive any of the vehicles under Class C.

You may tow travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR or 5th wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs. GVWR when the trailers are not used for hire (pay or other compensation). Study material for this class of license is contained in the Recreational Vehicles and Trailers booklet, available at any DMV office.

Class B**

You may drive:
- any single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.
- a 3-axle vehicle weighing over 6,000 lbs. gross
- any bus (except a trailer bus), with endorsement
- any farm labor vehicle, with endorsement
- all vehicles under Class C

*Refer to the Commercial Driver Handbook for additional information and study material.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less.

Class B Fire Fighter**

You may drive only a Class B defined single fire fighting vehicle and all the vehicles listed under Class C.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less.

Class B Noncommercial

You may drive:

- any vehicles listed under Class C.
- a housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.

You may tow any vehicle listed under Class C. Study material for this class of license is contained in the Recreational Vehicles and Trailers booklet, available at any DMV office.

Class C

You may drive:
- any 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
- any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
- any housecar, 40 feet or less.
- a vanpool vehicle, designed to carry more than 10 but less than 15 persons including the driver. The driver must have a valid medical report on file with DMV and carry a valid medical card.. The driver must also have a signed certification stating he/she has not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last five years. (VC§12804.9[j] ).

A farmer or employee of a farmer may drive:
- any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire or compensation.

You may tow:
a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.
- a boat trailer provided the GCWR does not exceed 26,000 lbs. when the towing is for recreational purposes or repair, is not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, or in business, is not for hire, and doesn't require an oversize permit (VC §35780).

With a vehicle weighing at least 4,000 lbs., you may tow a:
- trailer coach or 5th wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
- 5th wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.

• No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle.
• No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (VC§21715)
• Class C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle.

Class C Commercial

You may drive any Class C vehicle carrying hazardous materials or wastes (Health & Safety Code §§ 25115 and 25117) which require placards. The hazardous materials (HAZMAT) endorsement must be on the license.

You may tow the same vehicles listed in Class C.

Class M1

You may operate any 2-wheel motorcycle or motor driven cycle. Refer to the Motorcycle Driver Supplement for more information.

Class M2

You may operate any motorized bicycle, or moped, or any bicycle with an attached motor. Refer to the Motorcycle Driver Supplement for more information.

NOTE: The DMV will not issue a license to operate a two-wheel motorized vehicle to anyone under 21 years of age unless that person has completed a CHP approved motorcycle rider training program certified on the Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389). Fixed and mobile motorcycle training sites are located throughout California. The telephone number for locating the nearest training site is 1-800-CCRIDER.

Ambulance Driver Certificate

If you wish to drive an ambulance used commercially in emergency service (VC §2512), apply at any DMV office. You may purchase an Ambulance Driver Handbook for $5.

Verification of Training Document**

If you wish to drive a transit bus, you must have a Class A or B license with a passenger transport endorsement.

*Throughout this handbook, when referring to the licensing requirements for minors, the term "parents" means both custodial parents unless only one parent has custody; or all legal guardians unless only one legal guardian has custody.

**Refer to the Commercial Driver Handbook for additional information and study material.

previous | table of contents | next

Our Driver Education Course is Accepted by the California DMV

View Our California DMV Verification Letter

Sample DMV Driver Education Certificate of Completion

California Highway Patrol

"Cal-Driver-Ed is a pioneer in the field of online driver education. Over 80,000 California teenagers have taken their courses and are driving today."

"I recommend Cal-Driver-Ed for home study driver education."

The following quotes are excerpts from a California DMV Study on the Effectiveness of Home-Study Driver Education (PDF) dated April 2003:

"Home-study students performed just as well or better than classroom students ... "

"Home-study courses may also have the additional benefit of increasing parental involvement in their teen's learning process, which has been shown to be an important factor ..."

Cal Driver Ed is proud
to be a member in good
standing of the
Better Business Bureau
of NE California.

Better Business Bureau Member



Already Have Your License?
Looking for a Traffic School?

Traffic School Online

Traffic school will help keep your auto insurance costs lower if you receive a traffic ticket.

Every licensed California Driver must have auto insurance to drive a vehicle in California. Proof of insurance must be provided to the California DMV when you obtain your drivers license (not your learners permit).

Proof of auto insurance must also be provided to DMV when you register or renew the license on a vehicle you own.

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 DMV
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 Glossary