California's Home Study Driver Education Class

We offer online driver education and home study driver ed courses that satisfy the California Vehicle Code driver education requirements for students to obtain a DMV learners permit and drivers license. Our driver education classes are accepted by the California DMV. Designed for all California high school students in Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Orange, San Diego, Riverside and all other areas of California. A service of Pacific High School.

               To easily find this site again, hit Ctrl+D, or drag this link: Cal-Driver-Ed to your Favorites.

Our Online Drivers Education Course
Meets the California DMV requirements for students under 18
to get a Learners Permit and a Drivers License

The California DMV Driver Handbook

Driver education and driver training, if you are interested, can be obtained from a public or private high school adult education class or from a state licensed, professional driving school.

If you want to use public roads while learning to drive, you must get an instruction permit. You may use the permit to practice driving with an accompanying adult who is 25 years of age or older, with a valid California license. The person must be with you in the vehicle, close enough to take control of it at any time. An instruction permit doesn’t permit you to drive alone—not even to a DMV office to take the driving examination.

If you have a permit that allows you to drive an M1 or M2 vehicle, you cannot carry passengers and you must ride during daylight hours only and not on the freeway.

To get a permit, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Fill out the DMV application form (DL 44). Signing this form means you agree to submit to a chemical test to determine the alcohol or drug content of your blood when required by a peace officer. If you refuse to sign this statement, DMV will not issue a permit or license.
  • Provide your true full name.
  • Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.
  • Provide your social security number. It will be verified by the Social Security Administration.
  • Pay the required $12 application fee. This fee is good for 12 months and allows you to take all appropriate test(s) three times, if needed, during that period. This fee pays for both the instruction permit and driver license, if you qualify for both within the 12-month period. The fee must be paid when you apply for any new or change of class permit or license. The fee will not be returned. If the application expires, you must start again. This means resubmitting documents, paying the application fee, and taking the required tests.
  • Pass an eye exam. By law, any person with a best corrected vision of 20/200 or worse in the better eye cannot be issued a driver license. You may not use a bioptic telescopic or similar lens to meet this vision standard.
  • Have your picture taken.
  • Give a thumb print.
  • Pass a traffic laws and road signs test.

License Requirements for Adults

If you have never had any driver license, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Complete all the steps required for a permit.
  • Pass a behind-the-wheel driving test. If you fail the test, you must wait until the next day or the next available appointment before you are tested again. Bring your instruction permit with you.

Starting July1, 2003, you must pay a $5 retest fee if you fail the driving test.

If you have an out-of-state, or out-of-country license, or you are renewing a California driver license, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Complete all the steps required for a permit. (A temporary license will not be issued if you fail the eye exam.)
  • Surrender your valid out-of-state driver license. NOTE: Driving tests for license renewals or holders of out-of-state or U.S. territory licenses are normally waived. However, the depart-ment may require a driving test for any type of application. Driving tests are required for out-of-country license holders.

Starting July 1, 2003, a $5 retest fee is required if you fail the driving test.


License May Be Refused

The department will take the strongest action possible against anyone who alters or otherwise attempts to falsify a driver license. DMV may also refuse to issue you a license if you:

  • Have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
  • Have used the license illegally.
  • Have lied on your application.
  • Do not understand traffic laws or signs.
  • Do not have the skill to drive.
  • Have a health problem that makes your driving unsafe.
  • Have an outstanding traffic citation because you failed to appear (FTA) or failed to pay (FTP).
  • Have not complied with a judgment or order for family support payments.
  • Use a crib sheet for any license examination.
  • Impersonate an applicant or allow someone else to impersonate you to fraudulently qualify for a license.
  • Refuse to give a thumb print.
  • Refuse to sign the certification on the application (DMV form DL 44).
  • Submit a fraudulent birth date/legal presence document or social security document. See Actions Resulting in Loss of License for further information.

Driver License With Restrictions

The department may place special conditions or restrictions on your license. (See the Health & Safety section.) A driving test is normally required to remove a special condition or restriction from your license.

The department may suspend or revoke your license if you violate a condition or restriction.

To Replace a Lost Or Damaged License

If your driver license is lost or damaged, you must go to a DMV office and pay the $12 fee for a duplicate. You must also present acceptable photo identification. If DMV cannot confirm your identity, you will not be issued a temporary license. If you are a minor, your parents must sign the DMV application form (DL 44).

Once a duplicate license has been issued, the previous license is no longer valid. Destroy it if you find it later.

To Change Your Address

When you move, the law requires you to give your new address to DMV within 10 days. Each driver must complete and sign a Notice of Change of Address (DMV 14) form. This form also allows you to change your address for your vehicle registration. Mail the completed and signed DMV 14 to:

P.O. Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

Type or write your new address in ink on a small piece of paper. Sign and date it. Carry this piece of paper with your DL/ID card.You will not receive a new DL/ID card. Do not tape or staple the change of address paper to your DL or ID card. If you go to a DMV office, ask for a Change of Address Certificate card (DL 43) to complete. Carry this card with you. There is no charge to change your address this way.

To Change Your Name

If you change your name you will need a new driver license. Take your old license in person to a DMV office. A new picture and thumb print will be taken. Your old photo license will be invalidated and returned. No additional examination will be given, but the required fee will be charged.

The California Code of Regulations requires you to provide DMV with acceptable verification of your “true full name” using the same documents that establish legal presence in the U.S. The following documents are also acceptable to verify your true full name:

  • Adoption documents—containing your legal name as a result of the adoption.
  • Name change documents—containing your legal name both before and after the name change.
  • Marriage Certificate.
  • Dissolution of marriage documents—containing your legal name as a result of the court action.

If you also have an ID card, change your name on the ID card at the same time. You cannot have identification in two different names. Click here for information about changing your name on an ID card.

When Will Your License Expire?

DMV issues a regular driver's license for either a four- or five-year term. However, some drivers may not receive a five-year license until their next renewal period. Each license expires on the date shown on the license. It is against the law to drive after the license has expired.

You will be sent a renewal notice about two months before your license expires (if DMV has your correct address). The renewal fee for a regular Class C and/or M1/M2 license is $15. Bring the notice and your photo license with you when you renew. If you do not receive a renewal notice, bring in your current driver license before it expires.

If DMV cannot confirm your identity, you will not be issued a temporary license.

You may be eligible to renew your license by mail without taking a test if you have a good driving record.

If you are renewing a Class A, B, or other commercial license with a special certificate, be sure to get the Commercial Driver Handbook. If you are licensed to operate a Class M1 or M2 vehicle, see the Motorcycle Driver Supplement.

A driving test may be required as part of any driver license examination. Driving tests are not required simply because of age.

Starting July 1, 2003, a $5 retest fee is required if you fail the driving test.

Drivers with physical or other medical conditions may have to be reexamined from time to time by a physician or be retested more often than every four or five years (limited term license status) by a DMV examiner. (click here to see related Health and Safety section)

One Year Extension

If you are away from California (up to one year) when your driver license expires, you may request by mail a one-year license extension before it expires. There is no fee for this extension. Individuals who have been issued a “limited term” license are not eligible.

Mail your request to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001.

Include your name as it appears on the license, driver license number, birth date, California residence address, and your out-of-state address.

Always Carry Your License

You must have your driver license with you when you drive. Show it to any police officer who asks to see it. You must also show it to the other driver(s) involved if you are in an accident.

previous | table of contents | next

Our Driver Education Course is Accepted by the California DMV

View Our California DMV Verification Letter

Sample DMV Driver Education Certificate of Completion

California Highway Patrol

"Cal-Driver-Ed is a pioneer in the field of online driver education. Over 80,000 California teenagers have taken their courses and are driving today."

"I recommend Cal-Driver-Ed for home study driver education."

The following quotes are excerpts from a California DMV Study on the Effectiveness of Home-Study Driver Education (PDF) dated April 2003:

"Home-study students performed just as well or better than classroom students ... "

"Home-study courses may also have the additional benefit of increasing parental involvement in their teen's learning process, which has been shown to be an important factor ..."

Cal Driver Ed is proud
to be a member in good
standing of the
Better Business Bureau
of NE California.

Better Business Bureau Member



Already Have Your License?
Looking for a Traffic School?

Traffic School Online

Traffic school will help keep your auto insurance costs lower if you receive a traffic ticket.

Every licensed California Driver must have auto insurance to drive a vehicle in California. Proof of insurance must be provided to the California DMV when you obtain your drivers license (not your learners permit).

Proof of auto insurance must also be provided to DMV when you register or renew the license on a vehicle you own.

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 DMV
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 Glossary